State Street and Division Street, Chicago
This 1886 commercial structure, located in the Gold Coast Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places, has been adaptively reused as a CVS pharmacy. Originally scheduled to be demolished in order to build a new, modern drugstore, the historic building — and the façade of an adjacent greystone — were saved through the efforts of preservationists, neighborhood residents, and the local alderman. Restoration of the building’s ornate corner turret was completed in late 2005. There are ongoing efforts to restore the missing storefront.
For more information on chain drugstores, visit: www.nationaltrust.org/issues/drugstore
(credit: Jim Peters)