2022 Landmarks Illinois Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation Award for Adaptive Reuse
The Broadgauge Building in downtown Petersburg was constructed in 1872 and became Central Illinois’ first “megastore,” with a hardware store, grocery store and dry goods shop all under one roof. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing structure in the Petersburg Historic District, the Broadgauge Building, which had been used as a flea market in recent years, has been adaptively reused by owner Douglas Pope. The reopened Broadgauge now houses a restored restaurant and bar as well as The Talisman at the Broadgauge coffee and pastry shop on the ground level. Space on the second floor once used for storage now features a ballroom and performing arts center where weddings, class reunions and concerts can be held, and a boardroom and lounge for small business meetings, private parties and private dining. In what once served as a cigar factory in the distant past on the second floor also has been rehabbed as a banquet facility for medium-sized gatherings.
(Photo credit: Douglas Pope)