The 1927 Pere Marquette at 501 Main St. was once regarded as one of the most upscale hotels in the state of Illinois. When the Peoria Civic Center underwent a $55 million expansion a decade ago, however, it became clear that the already-struggling hotel could no longer serve its clientele in its current state. A series of feasibility studies revealed that more rooms and banquet spaces were an essential part of any rehabilitation. A 116-room addition, branded as a Marriott Courtyard Hotel, was constructed adjacent to the original Pere Marquette. The two structures are connected by a non-invasive walkway, thereby creating a 402-room complex in which Marriott and Pere Marquette coexist comfortably and the historic integrity of the original hotel is completely retained. An original mural and intricate plasterwork in the hotel lobby were carefully restored, and the luxurious Palm Court was also returned to its former glory. The Marriott Pere Marquette reopened in June of 2013, and the neighboring Marriott Courtyard is expected to open this summer.