The nine story apartment building built in 1923 and located at 1039 W. Hollywood Ave., sat vacant for six years in the Bryn Mawr neighborhood. Originally purchased by the Chicago Housing Authority in 1966, it was recently designated as a flagship senior living center as part of CHA’s Plan for Transformation: to break down barriers that formerly separated public housing from the larger city. The first floor was raised to eliminate ramp requirements, older stairs and elevators were replaced with modern ones and relocated to allow more daylight into the corridors and create a more efficient use of space, with that all interior spaces were renovated. The courtyard and roof were both landscaped and made into outdoor recreational areas. Lastly, sustainable practices were employed through the installation of a geo-thermal system and solar panels.