The Monroe Building was designed by Holabird & Roche in 1912 for Shepard Brooks as part of a portfolio that included the Monadnock, Rookery, Marquette and Brooks buildings. A 1959 remodeling covered or removed most of the original design elements. Engaging Holabird & Root to supervise the restoration, the owners spared no expense in restoring damaged elements and replicating those that were missing. Original manufacturers such as Ludovici Tile and Rookwood Pottery were contacted to recreate the missing details. J & J Arnaco received the CAF Patron of the Year Award in 2011. The revitalization of the Monroe building not only helped to restore Michigan Avenue National Register streetscape, but helped to highlight the economic viability of historic preservation.