Award for Rehabilitation

Ullin Depot


This abandoned depot, built in 1897, was moved off its original site to a lumberyard in 1967, where it was subsequently abandoned again in 1979. The Village of Ullin obtained ownership and returned it to its original site. Listed on the National Register in 1999, the depot became the focus of a long-term restoration effort by the local community. Initially, the exterior was restored, and then HVAC installed. Efforts then stalled for many years until 2011 when the decision was made to turn it into a library/museum/village hall. Funding initiatives were reinvigorated and the project completed. The depot waiting room is now the library, with its original beadboard walls and woodwork, the old freight room is now the meeting room and museum space. City Hall is in the ticketing area. The mayor observed: “It is bittersweet to see it finished. It’s been a community effort. Anything is possible when people work together.”

Support our advocacy

Be a voice for the future of our communities by supporting Landmarks Illinois. Our work enhances communities, empowers citizens, promotes local economic development and offers environmentally sound solutions.

Become A Member