Municipal Center River Wall and Plaza
Designed and built in the 1940’s by famed architect R. Harold Zook, the St. Charles Municipal Center River Wall and Plaza is a striking work in the art moderne-style, flanked by the scenic Fox River.
Multiple alterations over the years altered the structure from its original design, and the river wall had deteriorated greatly due to years of exposure to the elements. In 2009, a $4 million project was undertaken by the City of St. Charles to rehabilitate and restore the wall and plaza to its original and intended design. Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc and its contractors were hired to help diagnose the condition of the structures, evaluate what repairs and other work were needed and interpret the original design intent in order to come up with an achievable plan.
In 2010, this plan was successfully completed, and in 2011, the City of St. Charles received the “Public Works Project of the Year,” from the American Public Works Association in the Restoration/Preservation category. Mayor Don DeWitte proudly asserted at the ceremony that “the project has restored the wall and plaza to its 1940’s glory and will serve as an attractive community asset for decades to come.”