St. John's Episcopal Church
This historic (1852) church, one of the oldest buildings in Quincy, had undergone a series of renovations over its life. A lightning strike in August 2002 caused significant fire damage to the roof, original nave and tower and several more recent additions.
Lacking drawings and with few original references, the church and JLA sought to restore the building in the spirit of its original design, including removing more modern additions, installing an iron spiral staircase to the balcony and decorating the interior with a custom-designed stencil motif. Attention was also paid to the acoustic quality of the worship space, removing the lowered ceiling and installing an historic organ previously purchased and restored for the church. All but one stained glass window (including two by Tiffany) were saved, cleaned and reinstalled.