River Forest Women's Club
This 1913 board-and-batten clubhouse was designed by the Prairie School architect William Drummond, Frank Lloyd Wright’s chief draftsman. His design has been recognized in Frederick Koeper’s 1968 publication, Illinois Architecture, where it was compared stylistically to Wright’s masterpiece Unity Temple. After 90 years of continued use as a private women’s club, the site became threatened with demolition and was placed on Landmarks Illinois’ Most Endangered Historic Places in Illinois. Thanks to the widespread media exposure, interested buyers came forward with an offer to restore the building and convert it to a single family residence. The main floor auditorium was retained and the lower level was converted into living space while retaining original architectural details.