This Greek Revival-style residence, which dates to 1836, was the first building in the city to be designated as a local Chicago Landmark. The house was relocated to the Prairie Avenue Historic District in 1977, which included a widely-publicized move over still-functioning El tracks. Since then, the Greek Revival-style building has been operated by the City of Chicago as a house museum, although local preservationists have long complained that the structure had never been properly restored. A recent exterior restoration effort by the city reexamined documents from the 1850s and found conclusive physical evidence that supported reconstruction of a missing west portico and a return to the original paint color (tan rather than white clapboarding). Window sashes, muntin profiles, and shutters also now accurately reflect the building’s appearance during the 1850s period of significance.