Edgar County Courthouse
The Romanesque Revival courthouse designed by Henry Eliot of Chicago, was constructed between 1891 and 1893. On the National Register of Historic Places, it is built of Ohio sandstone. Rising from the center of the building is a galvanized steel and zinc sheet metal clad tiered bell and clock tower topped with a copper clad dome. The tower and dome are capped by a zinc sheet metal statue affectionately known as Lady Justice. Extensive structural deterioration of the tower, dome and statute (which was leaning) raised the specter of demolition. WJE worked closely with locals to determine the extent of the damage and manage the restoration, thus keeping costs down. The tower and statue have been repaired, in-kind replacements of copper and sheet metal cladding were necessary, repairs when necessary, including structural support, have restored all to gleaming proclamation. LI’s Richard H. Driehaus Courthouse grant assisted with the restoration of Lady Justice. The community rallied behind the effort, raising $150,000 and celebrating the restored focal point of the downtown area.