Chicago (July 2016)
Landmarks Illinois facilitated a pro bono condition assessment, provided by Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. (WJE), of the historic Greenstone Church (S.S. Beman architect) in the Pullman Historic District. The district is now a designated National Monument.
The Greenstone Church, located on the southeast corner of St. Lawrence Avenue and 112th Street, was built in 1882 as a church to serve all the denominations of the company town of Pullman. It was sold to the Methodist Church in 1906 and today serves as Greenstone United Methodist Church.
The exterior facade is of serpentine stone quarried in Pennsylvania and is experiencing severe deterioration. The WJE study will address possible mitigation and repair measures.