The Plainfield Opera House is the recipient of the 2018 Landmarks Illinois Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation Award for Rehabilitation. Located at 24027 W. Lockport St. in Plainfield, the project rehabilitated a historic opera house, which had undergone numerous renovations and alterations during the 1950s and 1960s. Using historic photographs, as well as onsite physical evidence, the first phase of rehabilitation included restoring the building’s north and east façade by demolishing a 1940s addition, restoring the storefront to match the original bricks and restoring original architectural features from the 1899 design. Masonry was cleaned and repointed and historic skylights were restored. The storefront’s decorative metal surround was restored, and the original hardwood floor of the second-floor atrium, along with the ticket office, dressing room and bathroom was exposed and restored. In the second phase of rehabilitation, the 1940s addition on the south side of the building was demolished and a new, sensitive addition was constructed that provides space for a new elevator, bathrooms, food preparation and storage for the kitchen space and an entrance to the south terrace for outdoor dining.

This project has anchored the revitalization of Plainfield’s historic downtown business district, while also bringing new service and entertainment options to the surrounding community.

Project Principals

Bill Habiger (owner)
Arris Architects + Planners
Plainfield Historic Preservation Commission
Mathis Construction Inc.

All 2018 Award Recipients

Support our advocacy

Be a voice for the future of our communities by supporting Landmarks Illinois. Our work enhances communities, empowers citizens, promotes local economic development and offers environmentally sound solutions.

Become A Member