District 2 Police Station
Rockford’s District 2 Police Station is the recipient of Landmarks Illinois’ 2017 Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation President’s Award for Adaptive Use. Located at 1410 Broadway St., the new police station is located in the former Turner School. Built in 1898, Turner School was closed and used as office space in 1978. Vacant since 1998, the City of Rockford’s recent transition to a district policing system created an opportunity to transform this local landmark. Extensive demolition of the 1978 office conversion uncovered much of the original wood trim, doors, hardware, chalkboards and wood floors. With meeting rooms, a gym and a stage available to the public, the renovated school has resulted in a welcoming space that encourages neighborhood interaction with the police. Since the project’s completion, the Police Station has hosted Open Houses for nearby residents to meet their local officers, fostering a sense of trust and cooperation within the entire community and demonstrating that historic buildings can facilitate understanding and improve neighborhoods for all.
The team responsible for this project includes: Turner School LLC, the City of Rockford, Rockford Police Department, Hagney Architects, FGM Architects, and Schmeling Construction Company.