Project of the Year

Golconda Lock and Dam Houses


These four houses, built in 1925-28, are sited dramatically on a levee above the Ohio River in Golconda. For a half a century, they served as residences for the lock keepers at Lock and Dam 51. They were abandoned when the dam closed in 1980 and they were given to the city in 1998 by the federal government. Since then, they have been restored and converted into tourist cottages, featuring period furnishings. (A St. Louis Post-Dispatch travel writer ranked them as one of the “Top Ten Places in the Midwest to Spend a Weekend.”)

Support our advocacy

Be a voice for the future of our communities by supporting Landmarks Illinois. Our work enhances communities, empowers citizens, promotes local economic development and offers environmentally sound solutions.

Become A Member