about us  online store  download forms  join us







<<  a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  MAP  >> 


Statewide Endangered

2012 Ten Most Endangered Historic Places 












Maywood Home for Soldiers’ Widows

224 N. First Ave., Maywood
(Cook County)


Unveiling of the newly restored porch and steps on Saturday, March 14, 2015. Visit Friends of Maywood Home for Soldiers’ Widows for photos and news.



Landmarks Illinois, with a consultant team with expertise in historic preservation and retail development/new construction, produced a reuse study for the Maywood Soldiers’ Widows Home and its surrounding site that was completed in the summer of 2014. Maywood officials plan to share the study with prospective developers for the city-owned property located at 1st and Lake Streets in Maywood. For more information about the property, contact:

David Myers
Assistant Village Manager
Village of Maywood
40 Madison Street
Maywood, IL 60153
Ph. 708-450-4429
Fax 708-450-4893
Email: dmyers@maywood-il.org


This handsome Georgian Revival building was constructed by the Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic in 1924. It was designed by Francis E. Dunlap and exhibits simple red brick, 2-story facades with Classical detailing and a screened portico facing the Des Plaines River. Vacant since a minor fire in 2003, it has been owned by the Village since 2008. Although the village accepted a redevelopment proposal in 2010 there has been no progress since that time. The Maywood Historic Preservation Commission is now concerned that the building may be demolished to make way for new development rather than incorporating this piece of Maywood’s history into the revitalization of an important intersection at 1st Avenue and Lake Street.

Maywood has a long history of caring for veterans and their families. It was the community that felt the largest impact from the fatalities of the Bataan Death March during World War II. The Hines Veterans Administration Hospital is an important presence on Maywood’s western border. The Maywood Soldiers’ Widows Home was founded in 1912 and was first located in a large house before moving to this building in 1924. The Home was sold to private owners in the 1970s who used it to house adults with mental illness. A small kitchen fire in 2003 closed the facility down.

Although the Village would like to see the Home become part of a new development it has been difficult to attract imaginative proposals that will be financially successful. The vacant land next door is currently being marketed separately from the Home, making it more difficult to attract developers to the Home’s restricted site. As the owner of numerous historically significant buildings, the Village should partner with its Historic Preservation Commission to plan for the future of these important community assets.

What You Can Do


Urge Maywood officials to put together a viable plan for the entire site, including the Maywood Home for Soldiers’ Widows.


Additional Links


Chicago Tribune
April 24, 2012








Landmarks Illinois
30 N. Michigan Avenue
Suite 2020
Chicago, IL 60602-3402
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112



home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  


© Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.