home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us
   

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  MAP  >> 

 
     
     
 

Manske-Niemann Farm
13 Frank’s Lane, Litchfield (Montgomery County)

 

 
   
 

 

One hour south of Springfield, along historic Route 66, this farmstead is acknowledged to be one of the most intact examples of a 19th and early-20th century working farm in the state. The 21 original buildings include an Italianate residence, animal barns, storage cribs, and a brick smokehouse. Historians have called it “an encyclopedia of Illinois farm building styles, construction techniques, and uses.” Owned by the same family for over 160 years, the property has earned Centennial Farm status through the Illinois Department of Agriculture. The current caretaker is the last surviving family member to live on the farm. The fate of the property beyond her tenancy is uncertain, although advocates believe it could serve an educational purpose in a state that has very few agricultural historic sites. The farm was initially placed on the “Ten Most” list in 2001.

 

Click A Thumbnail To Start Photo Slideshow

 

 

Press

 

On historic farm, tales of toil, family feuds and an uncertain future
State Journal-Register, March 5, 2010

 

Litchfield’s Manske-Niemann Farm: End of the Line
Behind the Curtain, The Photoblog of the SJ-R Photography Staff, March 6, 2011
 

Photo Credit: 1,2, 4-6 Jean Follett

 
 

bass_top_2  bass_top_3  bass_top_4  bass_top_5  bass_top_6 

 

bass_2  bass_3  bass_4  bass_5  bass_6

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.