home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us
   

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  MAP  >> 

 
     
     
 

Chanute Headquarters and Mess Hall
Borman and Pacesetter drives, Rantoul (Champaign County)

 

 
   
 

 

These two buildings are key contributing structures within the Chanute Field National Register District. Centered at the end of the main drive, the brick headquarters building has a two-story limestone entryway that leads into an Art Deco lobby surmounted by an oval dome. Now partially occupied, this served as the center of operations for the 2,125-acre Air Force base from 1941 until 1993, when the entire base was closed. The mess hallís three-story interior is supported by a series of reinforced concrete barrel vaults. Measuring over two basketball courts in length, the hall could accommodate up to 2,200 airmen at meal times. As part of a federal decommissioning process, ownership of some of the base buildings reverted to the City of Rantoul. While other buildings in the district have been repurposed for civilian use, these two iconic structures remain largely vacant with no foreseeable plans for rehabilitation.

 

Click A Thumbnail To Start Photo Slideshow

 

 

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 4 Chanute Air Museum; 3, 5 Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)

 
 

 

 

top_2  top_3  top_4  top_4  top_5   

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.