home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  MAP  >> 

 
     
     
 

Prentice Women’s Hospital
333 E. Superior St., Chicago (Cook Co.)

 

 
   
 

 

Designed by Bertrand Goldberg—architect of Chicago’s Marina City—this 1975 hospital building is one of his most iconic works. When constructed, the hospital was intended to handle 3,000 newborn deliveries a year. By 2000, it was taking on more than twice the intended number of births and, when a new facility opened in 2007, the cloverleaf concrete tower was vacated. The base of the building remains occupied by a psychiatric center that will move in two years, at which time ownership will transfer to Northwestern University. The university has discussed constructing a new research facility on the site, rather than exploring adaptive use of the existing Goldberg-designed structure. 

 

Photo 1(left): Courtesy of Hedrich Blessing; Photo 2, 3 Courtesy of Geoff Goldberg

 

     
 

  HOW CAN I HELP?

 

Contact 42nd Ward Alderman Brendan Reilly and request that the building be evaluated by the City’s Landmarks Division for potential:

 

 
 

Alderman Brendan Reilly

Office of the 42nd Ward

311 West Superior, Suite 212

Chicago, IL  60610

Phone: 312-642-4242

Fax: 312-642-0420

office@reillyforchicago.com

 

 

 

 
 

Other Contacts: SOAR (Streeterville Organization of Active Residents) To date, the organization has not stated a position on the future of the former Prentice Hospital building.

 
 

SOAR

244 East Pearson Street

Suite 101

Chicago, IL 60611-2310

Phone: 312-280-2596

Fax: 312-280-4631

www.soarchicago.org

     
     
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.