home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  MAP  >> 

 
     
     
 

Porthole Barns of Greene County
(Greene Co.)

 

 
   
 

 

This grouping of 30 barns can be seen dotting the countryside north of St. Louis. Joe Minch, a shipbuilder who migrated to the Rockbridge area in 1874, offered to build a barn for a local farmer in exchange for a set of tools. Included in his design was a round, porthole window that was a carry-over from his shipbuilding days and became a signature of his work. Because agricultural practices have changed dramatically in the last century, these barns are often too small to accommodate modern farming equipment. Lack of use and deferred maintenance has led to the steady deterioration of Minch’s barns. Four of the barns attributed to Minch have been lost in recent years and it is feared that much of the collection will disappear if not stabilized. 

 

To view and print a local map from the 2009 “Quilted” tour, which highlighted these endangered porthole barns click here.

 

Press

 

Greene County Porthole Barns
(Springfield) State Journal-Register, December 18, 2009

 

     
 

  HOW CAN I HELP?

 

To volunteer with the local historic preservation group, or assist individual barn-owners with maintenance needs please contact:

 

Seth McGee
Illinois Valley Cultural Heritage Association
Rural Route 1, Box 135
Eldred, IL 62027
Phone: 217-638-2103
seth.mcgee@eldredhouse.com

 
     
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.