home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  MAP  >> 

 
     
     
 

Lewis Pharmacy Interior
8 S. Main St., Canton (Fulton Co.)

 

 
   
 

 

The interior of the historic pharmacy remains virtually unchanged from its opening in 1915, when it was termed the finest drug store in Illinois. The shop retains its original cabinetry, booths, soda fountain, checkerboard floor and decorative art glass. The pharmacy was operated by the Gustine family until 1937, when it was sold to the Lewis family who operated it for an additional 72 years. An elderly Edward Lewis, Jr. finally retired and closed the pharmacy in February. The hope is to find a new owner that would like to preserve this historic institution, but if an appropriate buyer can not be found, the furniture and fixtures will soon be sold at auction. While Canton is an Illinois Main Street community, it does not currently have a local landmark program to protect historic buildings from demolition. 

 

Photo 3, 5: Courtesy of the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency

 

     
 

  HOW CAN I HELP?

 

Local residents hope to find another pharmacist willing to take over the business, however, all preservation-minded buyers and/or tenants should contact:

 

Mark Rothert
Executive Director
Canton Main Street
Spoon River Partnership for Economic Development,
45 East Side Square, Suite 303
Canton, IL 61520
Phone: 309-647-2677

 
     
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.