280 Washington St.
building, which is considered one of Illinois’s best examples of Greek
Revival architecture, was constructed in 1839 for the Bank of Illinois
at Shawneetown. It is the oldest bank building in the state. Although
the original bank suspended operations in 1843, it housed numerous
financial institutions over the years.
After the Flood of 1937, Shawneetown residents were forced to relocate the entire city. When the
last bank occupant left in 1942, the property was deeded to the State of
Illinois. The building was restored as a state historic site in the
1970s, but it has been closed to the public much of that time. Budgetary
concerns place this property, and numerous other shuttered state
historic sites, in continued danger of neglect.