about us  online store  download forms  join us










<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  MAP  >> 


The Mill
738 S. Washington St., Lincoln (Logan County)



Built in 1929 as a take-out sandwich shop along historic Route 66, this Dutch windmill-inspired structure is a classic example of early American roadside architecture. The managers’ children dressed in traditional Dutch outfits to attract customers on opening day. The large addition is a former army barracks building that was moved from Camp Ellis in Fulton County after World War II and converted into a dance hall and dining space for the Mill.


The restaurant was abandoned in 1996 but, despite years of vacancy and general deterioration, the historic site remains a nostalgic landmark along the “Mother Road.” In 2006, the Route 66 Heritage Foundation of Logan County acquired the property and stabilized the building, but its future remains uncertain.




To join the campaign to “Save the Mill,” donations and/or volunteer inquiries should be directed to Geoff Ladd, Chairman of the Route 66 Heritage Foundation of Logan County: 217-732-8687 or info@tourlogancounty.com. For more information on the foundation’s efforts, visit www.savethemill.org.









Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112



home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  



© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.