North Lawndale is one of the city’s most historic neighborhoods,
surpassing even Maxwell Street as one of the world’s most densely
populated Jewish communities during the first few decades of the 20th
century. After the outward migration of Jewish residents following World
War II, most of the area’s former synagogues and other structures were
occupied by African-American congregations who have preserved these
structures for more than half a century.
Unfortunately, due to their large
size, three of the structures along Douglas Boulevard have critical
maintenance issues: the former synagogues of Anshe Kenesseth Israel
(3413-19 W. Douglas) and Kehilath Jacob (3757 W. Douglas), and the former
Hebrew Theological College (3448-58 W. Douglas). They date from 1913,
1915, and 1922, respectively.