home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Photo: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Map

 
     
     
   

Montgomery House
3120 Old Troy Rd.,
Glen Carbon
(Madison County)

 
 

 

This is one of only three surviving pre-Civil War residences in this historic village, located 20 miles northeast of St. Louis. Completed in 1840, the L-shaped residence was built with 18-inch-wide walls, using bricks made on the site. Decorative interior details were carved from local hardwoods on the property. Nelson Montgomery was among the first non-native settlers in this area and was renowned for his family’s horse farm. The original 573-acre farm has been dramatically reduced in size over the years; first by the railroads and, later, by residential developments.

 

The house was purchased over 20 years ago by the current owner, who has been a thoughtful steward, receiving a local award for his careful cleaning of the exterior brickwork. The remaining nine acres are now surrounded by a new subdivision. Although the village recognizes the importance of the property, it does not have a preservation ordinance to protect the house from demolition.
 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.