The former candy factory, which is one of the largest Chicago School-style
buildings ever constructed, was designed in 1920 by Schmidt, Garden and
Martin. Its large floor areas, which were intended as flexible workspace,
facilitated the building’s conversion to a school in the 1960s. However,
construction is now underway on a new high school, immediately to the
east. Once completed, the historic structure is scheduled to be razed for
athletic fields and a parking lot.
This property has been listed three
times on LPCI’s Chicagoland Watch List. Attempts to save at least the
building’s distinctive front section, which features a five-story tower,
have been unsuccessful.