Although this building has appeared on the
“Ten Most” list on three occasions (2001, 2003, and 2004), the jury felt
it again merited special recognition due to the ongoing public debate over
its future. This two-block long structure, dating to 1913-16, was designed
by Paul Gerhardt and Richard Schmidt.
In addition to its impressive Beaux
Arts-style façade, the building’s history includes numerous medical
advances, including the first blood bank, indigent care, and modern
emergency room procedures. The building was vacated in late-2002 and was
scheduled to be demolished until advocacy efforts convinced the Cook
County Board to delay demolition. Its fate, however, remains uncertain.