home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Map

 
     
     
   

Robinson Auditorium-Gymnasium
200 E. Highland Ave., Robinson (Crawford County)

 
 

 

Tall fluted columns and a streamlined aluminum awning mark the entrance to this local Art Deco icon, which was built as a Public Works Administration project and inaugurated in 1938 by Eleanor Roosevelt.  Mothballed since a new high school gymnasium opened in 2006, the building faces an uncertain future.  A local non-profit organization hopes to convert the building into a community recreation center, but pressure to demolish the building—the town’s only National Register property—is growing among members of the school board that still owns the site. 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.