home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Map

 
     
     
   

Germania Hall
115 Main St., Freeport (Stephenson County)

 
 

 

Constructed in 1869 as an opera house and German social club, this is the last historic entertainment venue left in a community that — during the second half of the 19th century — was one of the best theater towns in the state. The building has been vacant
for more than a decade, following its use as a nightclub. The city has proposed demolition, citing developers’ concerns over rehabilitation costs and the need for more downtown surface parking. Recent evaluations have found the building, which is a contributing structure in a local landmark district, to be structurally sound.

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.