home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Map

 
     
     
   

Viking Ship
Good Templar Park,
Geneva (Kane County)

 
 

 

A striking artifact from the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893, the Viking ship sailed from Norway to Chicago for display at the fair.  It was hand-built as a replica of an 8th-century Viking vessel, and donated to the people of Chicago by the Norwegian government after the exposition ended.  First displayed in the Jackson Park lagoon, the ship spent seven decades at the Lincoln Park Zoo before being relocated in an aborted 1994 restoration effort.  It now languishes in dry dock on private land in Geneva. Those familiar with the ship’s condition stress the need for immediate action and fear that its continued deterioration will make restoration impossible.  The Viking ship is still owned by the Chicago Park District, which has yet to secure restoration funding or a suitable home for this irreplaceable cultural resource. 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.