home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Map

 
     
     
   

Barat College’s
Sacred Heart Chapel

700 E. Westleigh Rd.,
Lake Forest (Lake County)

 

This Florentine-inspired chapel, designed by George Hellmuth in 1922, is one of the most significant interior spaces on Chicago’s North Shore. It is part of the college’s Old Main Building, which is located within a National Register District and the city’s East Lake Forest Historic District. The college was sold to DePaul University in 2001 and closed in 2004. The property was sold last year to a private developer, who plans to demolish the chapel for underground parking and new condo construction. While the Lake Forest Historic Preservation Commission has voted twice to deny the developer’s demolition request, an economic hardship appeal by the developer is still being considered by the city council.

 
 

 

 

  Vote to Demolish Barat College’s Sacred Heart Chapel

 

After listening to eloquent testimony from 31 speakers on the importance of preserving Barat College’s Sacred Heart Chapel, the Lake Forest City Council voted 8-0 on Monday, April 16, 2007 in favor of demolition. Click here for more information.

 
   

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.