home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

RETURN

 
 

St. Gelasius Catholic Church

6400 S. Woodlawn, Chicago (Cook County)

 

At its meeting on Sept. 4, 2003, the Commission on Chicago Landmarks voted to begin the process of designating this South Side church as a local landmark. The preliminary designation, along with a decision to deny a demolition permit application filed by the building’s owner, the Archdiocese of Chicago, was a historic action on the part of the Commission. It is the first church building the Commission has attempted to landmark—without the pre-approval of the owner—since the passage of a 1987 city ordinance requiring “owner consent” for the landmarking of religious properties.

 

The Renaissance Revival-style church (built 1923; Henry Schlacks, architect) was closed in 2002 and the Archdiocese planned to demolish it. The City decided to pursue landmark designation after being advised by its legal counsel that a vacant church—one no longer used for religious purposes—does not fall within the restrictions of the ordinance.

 

On January 12, 2004, the Chicago City Council’s Committee on Historical Landmark Preservation unanimously voted in favor of the Commission’s recommendation for St. Gelasius’ landmark designation and forwarded it to the full Council where it was officially voted as a Chicago landmark on January 14. Only one alderman, Alderman Theodore Matlak of the 32nd ward, voted in opposition.

 

View a list of landmarked Chicago churches.

View testimony delivered by Landmarks Illinois at the January 12 City Council Committee on Historical Landmark Preservation meeting.

 

 

 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.