home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

RETURN

 
 

Old City Hall

108 N. Emma Street, West Frankfort (Franklin County)                                                 

 

The West Frankfort City Council voted to accept a bid of $10,429 from Dr. Ted VanAcker for the purchase of the Old City Hall on July 13, 2004. Dr. VanAcker intends to renovate the building and open it as a Franklin County branch of his Southern Illinois Dermatology clinic. This successfully ended the long grass roots effort to save the building from demolition, as was previously planned by the city.

 

After Mayor Jack Woolard’s unexpected resignation in April 2004, the new mayor, Bob Ellis, was persuaded to support preservation of this National Register property. In an article in the Southern Illinoisan, Ellis noted that “the will of the people became very apparent and we will preserve it.” The previous mayor had favored the building’s demolition and replacement with a parking lot for area businesses.

 

Landmarks Illinois assisted members of the West Frankfort Civic Center Authority, which led the local campaign to save the building. With the WCCA and local advocates, LI urged city officials to consider the building’s re-use potential and ability to contribute to the city’s tax base, as well as enhance the local business district. The Old City Hall is the only building in West Frankfort listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

 

 

 

 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.