about us  online store  download forms  join us







Preservation News

Current News    






Pure Oil Station Saved


On March 26, 2012, the Geneva City Council upheld the Historic Preservation Commission's February decision to deny a demolition permit for the blue-roofed former gas station (1937), which was proposed for demolition to accommodate a new drive-through bank facility. A group of citizens, led by Preservation Partners of the Fox Valley, organized a public campaign objecting to the demolition. Over 2,000 petition signatures were gathered. Landmarks Illinois voiced support for the building’s protection and provided visual examples of successful reuses of historic gas stations in the U.S. and Illinois. We noted that unlike a bank, these examples (retail, café, restaurant) were sales tax-producing uses that would enhance the downtown. The building is located along the Lincoln Highway within the boundary of the Geneva Historic District designated by the City of Geneva in 1987.



LI’s Letter to the Mayor and City Council.pdf

Daily Herald, March 27, 2012

Geneva Patch, February 24, 2012








Landmarks Illinois
30 N. Michigan Avenue
Suite 2020
Chicago, IL 60602-3402
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112



home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  


© Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.