Projects Like Mine
Landmarks Illinois staff fields dozens of questions from preservationists around the state. One of the most common
queries is, “Who else has undertaken a project like mine?”
To help provide
some answers, we have compiled this list of projects receiving a Landmarks
Illinois award since 1990, when
the awards program began. Starting in 1994, the program has been sponsored through the generosity of the Richard H. Driehaus Foundation.
Please note that the year of the award is in parenthesis following the
Projects Like Mine Links: a. Commercial
Education and Outreach
h. Residential i.
k. Theaters l. Train Stations
American Bankers Building, Jacksonville. (2005) Former 1920s bank
building converted for first floor retail and a second story banquet
facility. Contact the owner: George R. Hamilton, 217-675-2720.
Springfield. (2001) Conversion of a row of five commercial structures into
apartments, state offices, parking, and ground-level retail.
Contact the developer: James A. Johnston, Gerber Management, 217-557-7851.
Emmett’s Tavern & Brewing Co., West
Dundee. (2004) Restoration of an 1871 Italianate bank building including
reopening of bricked-in windows, new foundations dug, and refabricated
cornice. Contact: owner Timothy Burns, 847-428-4500.
Fisher Building, Chicago.
(2001) Reuse of
an 1896 office building into apartments, including extensive terra cotta
repair & replacement and restoration of missing features.
Contact the developer: Hal Lichterman, Kenard Corporation, 773-244-1000.
Hard Rock Hotel,
(2004) Adaptive use of
1929-era Carbide & Carbon Building for a luxury hotel, including terra
cotta restoration, restored Art Deco-style lobby, and new addition. Contacts: Lucien Lagrange Architects (interior and addition),
312-751-7400, or Wiss, Janney, Elstner
Associates (exterior), 312-372-0555.
Goldblatt’s Department Store,
Chicago. Neighborhood campaign to rescue building from demolition and its
subsequent conversion to city offices (1997). Contact: Brenda Russell,
East Village Association, 773-276-1252.
Krause Music Store, Chicago. (2007) Restoration of this 1922
building—Louis Sullivan’s final commission—featured restoration of
leaded glass windows, refinishing of original wood doors, and
restoration of the mosaic tile floor. The green terra cotta facade was
fully repaired, tuckpointed and patched to match the original glaze.
Contact: Keith Dinehart, Goldberg General Contracting, 773-273-9600.
Reliance Building, Chicago.
terra cotta repair, window replacement, cleaning and cornice installation
for this 1894-95 office building. Contact the architect: Gunny Harboe,
Harboe Architects, PC, 312-977-0333.
Rockford. (2006) Removal of 1960s metal sheathing and exterior façade
restoration of an 1865 department store building. Interiors were
converted to residential lofts. Contact the owner: Don Bissell, B&B
River Forest Womens’ Club,
River Forest. (2008) This 1913 Prairie-style clubhouse was saved from
potential demolition, restored, and converted into a single family
residence. Original wood windows and portions of the siding were
repaired or reconstructed to match, and interior finishes were restored.
Contact: Paul Coffey, owner, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rookery Building, Chicago.
(1993) Conversion of an 1890s early Loop skyscraper to Class-A office space,
including restoration of entrance lobbies and light court by Frank Lloyd
Wright. Contact the architect: Gunny Harboe, Harboe Architects, PC,
School of the Art Institute,
Chicago. (1997) Restoration of a club ballroom and its conversion to auditorium
space for a university. Contact: Vincent Michael, SAIC,
360 N. Michigan Avenue
(2002) Rehabilitation of 1923-era Beaux Arts skyscraper, including
replication of ornamental cast metalwork, storefront, and plaster work.
Contact: Leonard Koroski, Lohan
Education and Outreach
City of Aurora (2006) Innovative projects celebrating the city’s
architectural heritage, including interpretive signage, cell phone
walking tours, architectural trading cards for school groups, and tours
of the city’s numerous Sears catalog houses. Contact the Aurora
Preservation Commission: 630-256-3080.
Galena Foundation, Galena. (2008) Formed in 1980, The Galena
Foundation has had over 25 years of success educating the public on the
significance of local architecture and raising funds for its ongoing
maintenance, with the money raised being put back into the community
through matching grants for historic preservation projects. Contact: The
Galena Foundation, 815-377-7070.
Gifford Park Association, Elgin. (2007) The leadership of this
group, formed in 1979, has resulted in programming to promote the
historic architecture of the oldest neighborhood in Elgin. In an effort
to promote architectural appreciation through public education, the
group organized its first historic house tour in 1981, with proceeds
reinvested in the neighborhood. Contact: Dan Miller,
New Life Project, Jacksonville. (2008) What started as an effort to save
one building from demolition has given rise to a new local Main Street
program for this community. The Jacksonville Main Street board took the
opportunity to create a model for rehabilitation by returning a
dilapidated property to single-family use through a series of innovative
partnerships. Contact: Judy Tighe, Jacksonville Main Street,
Paxton Water Tower Preservation Campaign, Paxton. (2007) This pump
house, completed in 1887 and located in east central Illinois, has been
rescued by local preservationists and adapted for a new use as the Ford
County Museum. Contact: Royce Baier, The Paxton Foundation,
The Rock Island Argus, Rock Island.
(2002) Two series of newspaper articles, including: historic structures depicted
on vintage postcards and the region’s various architectural styles .
Contact: Diane Ostereich, Rock Island Preservation Society, 309-782-8026,
or Rock Island Argus, 309-764-4344.
Danville. (2005) This nonprofit organization targets deteriorated
residential properties for acquisition and rehabilitation as
single-family residences. This program also offers “how-to” maintenance
workshops for historic homeowners. Contact: Renaissance Danville, Inc.,
Schoolyards to Skylines, Chicago.
(2003) Lesson plans for K-8 teachers,
including use of buildings, sites, people, and historic events as tools
for teaching social science, science, mathematics, language arts, and fine
arts. Contact: Jennifer Masengarb, Chicago Architecture
Foundation, 312-922-3432, ext. 246
Zook Home and Studio
Relocation, Hinsdale. (2005) A coalition of concerned residents came
together to save this local historic architect’s home and studio from
demolition. In less than eight weeks, preservationists orchestrated a
challenging and successful relocation of the house to a suitable new
site. Contact: Bob Saigh, Hinsdale Historical Society, 630-887-9110.
Chicago. (2000) Rehabilitation of a 1924 hotel, including storefront renovations, new
entrance, brick and stone repairs, and restoration of a neon sign.
Contact the architect: W. Stephen Saunders, 312-786-1204.
Aurora Hotel, Aurora.
and adaptive use of historic hotel into senior citizens housing.
Contact the Aurora Preservation Commission: 630-256-3080.
Elk Tower Apartments, Litchfield.
(1998) Historic lodge and hotel rehabilitated into 27 affordable rental apartment. Contact the architect: Patrick Thornton, Farr Associates,
Hotel Baker, St.
Charles. (1998) This 1928
building was restored to its original use as a luxury hotel, including
accessibility requirements and installation of interior storm windows . Contact the owner: Craig Frank, 630-584-0820.
Hotel Inter-Continental, Chicago.
(1992) Restoration of a 1929 hotel, including exterior stone repairs, new
windows, skylights, roofs, canopies, and general facility upgrades. Contact the architect: James Torvik, Gensler Associates,
Rose Hotel, Elizabethtown.
(2000) This 1835
tavern-hotel was renovated into a bed-and-breakfast facility owned by IHPA.
Work included structural stabilization, mechanical and electrical systems,
and accessibility requirements. Contact the architect: William Borgognoni, 618-529-3691.
Wabash YMCA, Chicago.
(2001) Conversion of
a 1920s building into 101 new single-occupancy rooms and community
facilities, including restoration of a 1938 mural. Contact the
architect: Dennis Langley, 312-642-1820.
Chicago & Northwestern Railway Powerhouse, Chicago. (2007)
Conversion of this 1911 Beaux Arts structure into commercial space was
accomplished by adding three floors of rentable space to the vaulted
interior and buffering the structural frame from vibrations of trains
passing underneath. Contact: Jeff Berta, Structured Development,
Gray-Watkins Mill, Montgomery.
(2001) Adaptive use of a 1850s grist mill into a banquet hall, including new
roof, window and limestone repairs, and elevator and restrooms .
Contact the developer: Tim Ivers or Virginia Potter, 630-961-5055.
Factory Task Force,
Chicago. (2002) Established community process for stabilization of a former
railroad car factory damaged by an arson fire. Contact: Commission
on Chicago Landmarks, 312-744-3200.
Geneva. (2005) Adaptive reuse of an important WWI-era laboratory complex
for modern office and production facilities. Contact the owners: Bonnie
and Fred Hackendahl, 630-262-2613.
Chicago. (1995) Conversion of 1902 Prairie-style brewing plant into an artesian-well water
bottling plant, including brick and window restoration. Contact
the owner: Lawrence O’Brien, Observers Investment Co., 312-464-1424.
Conversion of mammoth Montgomery Ward & Co. catalog warehouse for office,
retail, and residential uses, including exterior brick, terra cotta, and
concrete cleaning. Contact: Gensler
Caldwell Lily Pool,
Chicago. (2002) Restoration of Prairie School landscape, including waterfall,
native stone outcroppings and paths, council ring, and accessible walkways. Contact: Chicago Park District, Department of Capital
Construction, 312-742-7529, or Wolff Clements & Associates, 312-663-5494.
Orion. (2004) Restoration of 1915-era bandshell and
its original decorative lighting scheme by local fundraising and volunteer
labor. Contact: Diane Welborn, Main
Street Orion, 309-526-3331.
Clarence F. Buckingham Memorial Fountain,
Chicago. (1996) Restoration of this 1920s Beaux Arts fountain including repairs
to its marble cladding, replacement of the concrete substructure, and new
mechanical systems. Contact the architect: James Torvik, Gensler
Columbus Park, Chicago.
restoration of a Prairie-style park designed by Jens Jensen, including
water features. Contact: Julia Sniderman Bachrach, Chicago Park
Congress Viaduct and Plaza, Chicago.
(1996) Reconstruction of this 1920s open space including ornamental concrete
railings and staircases, replication of missing ornamental streetlights,
decorative paving, and landscaping. Contact: DLK Architecture,
Garfield Conservatory Aroid House,
Chicago. (1997) Restoration of this glass structure and its plantings to their
1923 period of significance. Contact the architect: John Eifler,
Chicago. (2002) Restoration of a 1907 Prairie School-style boathouse, including
clay tile roof, decorative railings and light fixtures, and handicapped
accessibility. Contact: Chicago Park District, Department of
Capital Construction, 312-742-7529.
Humboldt Park Receptory and Stable,
Chicago. (1998) Exterior restoration of this 1896 fire-damaged structure
included a new roof and wholesale repairs to a variety of materials, such
as limestone, brick, terra cotta, wood trim, and metal ornament. Contact the architect: Douglas Gilbert,
Jackson Park Animal Bridge, Chicago. (2005) Restoration of a
stone-clad road bridge featuring fanciful carved animal heads. Contact
the Chicago Department of Transportation: Brian Steele, 312-744-0707.
Walden-Bluff’s Edge Bridge, Lake
Forest. (1998) Rehabilitation of this 1901 bridge included structural repairs,
stone abutments, and new railings. Contact: Pauline Mohr, Lake
Forest Preservation Foundation, 847-234-1344.
Public Buildings Top
East St. Louis Courthouse, East St.
Louis. (1992) Renovation of a 1910 courthouse, including an addition connected
by a glass skylight. Contact the architect: James Torvik, Gensler
East School Clock Tower, Pittsfield. (2005) Complete restoration of
one of the nation’s oldest schoolhouse clock towers. Contact the
contractor: Cody Wright, 217-899-8334.
Graceland Cemetery, Chicago.
cemetery’s conservation program, initiated in 1992, has repaired
deteriorating stone monuments, replicated damaged or broken statuary, and
cleaned bronze work. Contact the architect: John Eifler,
Grosse Point Lighthouse, Evanston.
(1997) Restoration and adaptive use into a museum of an 1873 structure.
Contact: Donald J. Terras, Lighthouse Park District of Evanston,
Illinois State Capitol –
Legislative Chambers, Springfield. (2007) Restoration of the 1887
legislative chambers included the addition of modern mechanical and
electrical systems, as well as the renovation and reintroduction of
period finishes—including carpeting and furnishings— and the
reconstruction of a stained glass ceiling in the House chambers.
Contact: Phil Hamp, Vinci|Hamp Architects, 312-733-7744.
Lake County Museum, Wauconda.
(1999) Renovation and expansion of a historical museum building, including
exhibition space and amenities for food services and rentals.
Contact the architect: David Woodhouse, 312-943-3120.
Lake Forest City Hall,
Lake Forest. (1998) Restoration of this 1898 structure included accessibility requirements,
structural repairs, and a sensitive addition. Contact the
architect: David Woodhouse, 312-943-3120.
Libertyville Bell Tower,
Libertyville. (1999) Restoration of a cupola atop a historic town hall.
Contact: Dean Larson, 847-367-5857.
Lords Park Pavilion,
Elgin. (1993) Restoration included research of missing elements and structural repairs. Contact the architect: Bruce A. Dahlquist, 847-742-4063.
Restoration of an 1896 county courthouse, including
the removal of a stucco-like coating over the original brick exterior
(2004). Contact the county sheriff: Larry Smith, 217-632-2273.
Mineral Springs Park Pavilion, Pekin.
Restoration of this 1904 structure into a public hall included masonry
repairs, interior woodwork, plaster stabilization, electrical systems, and
repairs of old fixtures. Contact the architect: Kenyon and
Mansion and Carriage House,
(2004) Interior and
exterior restoration of 1890s historic structures based on a detailed
historic structures report. Contact: Louise A. Howard,
Naper Settlement, 630-420-6014.
Old McLean County Courthouse
Dome, Bloomington. (2005) Restoration of a 1903 courthouse tower and
dome. Contact the engineer: Ed Gerns, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates,
Peoria City Hall, Peoria.
Restoration and repairs to an 1897 Flemish Renaissance style building. Contact the architect: Kenyon
and Associates, 309-674-7121.
Pouley Road, Elburn.
(1995) A non-profit
organization helped preserve 1 1.3 mile-long section of a rural gravel
road. Contact: Jan Jorstad Otto, Pouley Road Preservation Society,
Village of Elsah, Elsah.
rehabilitation effort to restore the village’s historic character,
following the 1993 Mississippi River Flood. Contact: Gerald Taetz,
Illinois Valley Cultural Heritage Association, 618-374-1103.
Religious Buildings Top
Baha’i House of Worship, Wilmette.
(1994) Restoration of this 1953 concrete structure included accessibility
requirements. Contact the architect: Robert Armbruster,
The Chouse, Galena.
(1993) Adaptive use of
an 1854 church into a single-family residence, including restoration of
its exterior and 17 foot-tall interior stamped tin ceilings.
Contact the owners: Daniel and Verne Wagner, 815-777-0755.
Holy Family Church, Chicago.
non-profit organization raised over $1 million to restore this 1860 German
Gothic church. Contact the architect: John Vinci, 312-733-7744.
Lake View Presbyterian Church, Chicago. (2008) Restoration of this
1888 church by architect John Wellborn Root focused heavily on the
removal of asbestos shingles covering the original patterned cedar
shingle cladding on the building’s exterior. Art glass windows were also
fully restored and fireproofing material installed under the shingles.
Contact: Greg Cook, Holabird & Root, 312-357-1771.
Medinah Temple/Tree Studios Block, Chicago. (2007) These buildings,
constructed between 1894 and 1913, were saved from demolition through
the support and advocacy of several groups who fought to redevelop them
into usable spaces. Using local and federal tax incentives, this
historic block was preserved and re-used. Contact: Eleanor Gorski, City
of Chicago-Historic Preservation Division, 312-744-3200.
Advocacy effort by parishioners to prevent demolition of 1889
Richardsonian Romanesque-style church,
including protests, petitions, 24-hour property watch, and lawsuits. Contact: Coalition to Save the Met, Linda Slaughter,
email@example.com or Patty Winston Johnson, 708-798-5578.
Moses Montefiore Temple,
Bloomington. (2001) Adaptive use of a 1889 Jewish temple into
a single-family residence, including a new roof, copper box gutters and
downspouts, replacement of a large copper onion-shaped dome, plastering,
and new mechanical systems. Contact the architect: Russell Francois,
Music Institute of Chicago Concert Hall
Adaptive use of 1912-era Classical Revival-style church, including
500-seat recital hall, music school, and resolution of accessibility
issues. Contact: Music Institute of Chicago, 847-446-3822, ext.
312 N. Church Street,
Jacksonville. (2008) What started as an effort to save one troubled
building from demolition has given rise to a new rehabilitation program
for this community. Contact Jacksonville Main Street at 217-245-6884 or
447 West Main, Decatur.
(2001) This 1854
Federal-style house, which had been subdivided into four apartments, was
restored to it's original appearance and function as a single-family
residence. Contact the owners: John and Rhonda Glidewell,
Avery Coonley House, Riverside. (2007) A full-scale restoration of
the 1907 Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Main House included stucco repair,
recreated murals and skylights, and the rehabilitation of over 150
leaded glass doors and windows. This meticulous restoration extended
onto the grounds as well, where Jens Jensen's 1913 landscape plan has
been recreated. Contact: Riverside Historical Commission, 708-447-2700.
Bradley Stable, Kankakee. (2006) In danger of demolition by
neglect, this locally designated Frank Lloyd Wright landmark was rescued
by new owners who undertook a full restoration. Contact the owners:
Gaines and Sharon Hall, 815-802-1421.
Clarke House, Chicago. (2005) Chicago’s first locally-designated
landmark, this wood-frame Greek Revival-style house is now operated by
the city as a museum. Recent restoration efforts have returned the home
to its original 1850s appearance. Contact the Chicago Department of
Cultural Affairs: Julie Burros, 312-744-8938.
Lock Keeper Housing,
Golconda. (2003) Rehabilitation
of 1920s brick and frame residences for use as rental cottages, including
extensive repairs, handicapped accessibility, and volunteer-led campaign. Contact: Main Street Golconda,
618-683-6246 or -6702.
Dana-Thomas House, Springfield.
Interior and exterior restoration of a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed
residence into a state-owned house museum. Contact: Mike Jackson, IHPA, 217-785-5031.
campaign to purchase an 1860s Italianate
residence and its 12-acre lakefront site to prevent demolition for a
Contact: Lakeside Legacy Foundation, 815-455-8000.
E.M. West House and Grounds, Edwardsville. (2008) This 1858
Italianate house underwent a large-scale restoration, returning the
structure to its 1860s appearance by rebuilding and recasting ornamental
elements on both the interior and exterior. To complete the restoration,
the asphalt parking lot was torn out and the grounds fully restored.
Contact: Joe Hutton, Miller & Maack General Contractors, 618-344-2506.
Peoria. (1999) Built c. 1880, this Second Empire mansion’s renovation included: roof,
window, and structural repairs, a second stairway, new elevator, and
partial conversion to office use. Contact the architect:
Kenyon and Associates, 309-674-7121.
Emery House, Elmhurst. (2005) Walter Burley Griffin’s original 1903
Prairie School design had been extensively altered throughout its
lifetime. As part of a long-tern restoration effort, later additions
were demolished, mechanics upgraded, and exterior stucco and masonry
restored. Contact the architect: John Eifler, Eifler & Associates,
Heurtley House, Oak Park.
(1999) Restoration of this 1902 Frank Lloyd Wright house involved a new roof,
tuck pointing, and installation of new electrical and mechanical systems. Contact the architect: John G. Thorpe, 708-386-1700.
Chicago Bungalow Initiative,
Chicago. (2002) City-led program to encourage preservation of early-20th
century brick bungalows, including web site, multilingual materials,
tours, outreach to realtors and contractors, tours, design guidelines, and
homeowner incentives. Contact: Historic Chicago Bungalow
Hotel St. Benedict Flats, Chicago. (1996)
Restoration of an 1882-83 apartment building, including windows, metal
cornice, missing historic elements, signage, and retail space .
Contact: Kerry Dickson, LR Development, 312-595-7400.
Daniel Lincoln Homestead, St.
Charles. (1993) Restoration and sensitive addition to a 1846 Federal-style
house, including windows. Contact the owner: Mark D. VanKerkhoff,
Hampshire. (2007) This 1948 Usonian-style farmhouse by Frank Lloyd Wright was
restored by the original owners’ granddaughter and her husband, who took on the
task of repairing the farmhouse’s concrete floor, common brick walls and
cantilevered cypress roof before converting it into a bed and breakfast.
Contact: Michael and Sarah Petersdorf, owners, 847-464-5224.
New Holland Apartments, Danville. (2006) This “triple crown” of
rehabilitation projects converted an abandoned historic apartment
complex into “Green” affordable housing units. Contact the owner: Thom
Pollock, Crosspoint Human Services, 217-442-3200.
Powers-Jarvis Bachrach Mansion,
Decatur. (1993) Adaptive use of a 1910 residence for classrooms and lodging for
a corporate training facility. Contact: Ron James, Bachrach
Pattington Apartments, Chicago.
(1995) Exterior repair of a 1902 apartment building, including curved wood
windows and tile roof. Contact one of the owners: David Holton,
Ricker House, Champaign.
of this 1892 Queen Anne house encompassed a new roof and chimneys,
plasterwork, plumbing, new kitchen, and bathroom upgrades-done by a
non-profit preservation organization. Contact: Karen Lang Kummer,
Preservation and Conservation Association, 217-359-7222.
Robert G. Emmond House, LaGrange. (2008) This frame Queen Anne
residence, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1892, was carefully
restored to its 1895 appearance. Interior work included historic paint
analysis, fabrication of period hardware pieces, installation of carbon
filament lighting fixtures, and replication of missing interior woodwork
throughout. Contact: Harboe Architects, 312-977-0333.
of Lakewood Balmoral, Chicago.
(2002) Sensitive new construction in a historic neighborhood. Contact: Thom Greene, Greene and
Proppe Design, 773-271-1925;
Sala Flats, Rock Island.
(2006) Renovation of this 33-unit apartment building for affordable
downtown housing included the retention of many original fireplaces,
cabinets, and moldings. Contact the developer: Linda Fulkerson,
Brinshore Development, 847-562-9400.
(2004) Conversion of vacant house to 12-room boutique hotel, including exterior
brick cleaning, replacement slate tile roof, interior restoration, and use
of Class-L property tax incentive. Contact: owner Debra
Wigell-Carlson Residence, Rockford. (2007) This 1908 Prairie-style
residence was rehabilitated and preserved as a single-family home.
Portions of this extensive restoration included carefully refinishing
millwork, returning salvaged items to their original locations, and
using period finishes throughout. Contact: Gary Carlson, owner,
Willits House, Highland Park.
1901 Frank Lloyd Wright house’s restoration included a new roof,
reconstruction of the front porch, comprehensive art glass repair, new
hardware and lighting fixtures. Contact the architect: John Eifler,
Dickson-Murst Farmstead, Montgomery. (2006) Village officials
spearheaded a proactive campaign to protect a 100-acre farmstead from
encroaching subdivision development. Contact the Village of Montgomery:
Debbie Buchanan, 630-896-8080 x21.
Kane County Board, Geneva.
state’s first rural historic district, “rustic roads” and barn
rehabilitation programs, and bricks-and-mortar grants. Contact:
Kane County Historic Preservation Commission, 630-208-5347.
Riverview Farm Restoration Workshop and Barn Raising Social,
Naperville. (2002) Week-long community event to restore a 19th-century barn,
including an all-day social with a barn raising finale. Contact:
Lynn Kurczewski, Forest Preserve District of Will County, 815-727-8700.
Glenview. (2003) One of the last working farms on
Chicago’s North Shore rescued from subdivision redevelopment.
Contact: Citizens Organized for Wagner’s (C.O.W.S.), 847-724-0106.
Chicago Board of Education, Chicago.
(1998) Restoration of WPA-era murals at seven public schools. Contact:
Chicago Conservation Center, 312-944-5401.
Crown Hall, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago. (2006) This
mid-20th century masterpiece was restored to Meis van der Rohe’s
original vision in a complete recladding of its glass curtain walls.
Contact the architects: Mark Sexton, Krueck & Sexton, 312-787-0056;
Gunny Harboe, Harboe Architects, 312-977-0333.
Illinois School for the Deaf,
Jacksonville. (1996) Restoration of exterior masonry and stencil work.
Contact the architect: Kenyon and Associates, 309-674-7121.
Lindblom Math and Science Academy, Chicago. (2006) The Chicago
Board of Education adapted this historic high school in the Englewood
neighborhood to meet the demands of modern educational needs. The
original auditorium and dance hall were magnificently restored as part
of the project. Contact the architect: Ed Torrez, Bauer Latoza Studio,
Belvidere. (2003) Adaptive use of vacant schools,
dating from 1893 and 1916, for senior-citizen apartments, including a
modern connection between buildings and a new entry pavilion.
Contact: architect Richard J. Laya,
312-829-3355 ext. 225.
Pullman School, Chicago.
of this 1910 grade school include brick and mortar repair and cleaning,
wood window restoration, and accessibility requirements. Contact
the architect: Joanne Bauer, 312-986-1000.
Carl Schurz High School, Chicago.
(1998) Exterior restoration of this 1910 Prairie-style building included brick
repair and cleaning, complete wood window restoration, and reinstallation
of a long-missing clay tile roof. Contact the architect: Carol
Ross Barney, 312-832-0600.
University of Chicago Law Library, Chicago. (2008) This 1960
Modernist-style library, designed by Eero Saarinen, underwent a
sensitive rehabilitation in which obsolete stacks were removed to create
computer terminals and additional study areas, a central staircase was
inserted between floors two and three, and period furnishings complete
the décor. Contact: Mark Hirons, OWP/P Architects, 312-332-9600.
Apollo Theater, Peoria.
of theater lobby and entrance, rehabilitation of the balcony, and
conversion of the ground floor into office and retail space.
Contact: Thomas and Barbara Leiter, 309-691-4766.
(2003) Theater renovation in Adler & Sullivan’s 1886
Auditorium Building included paint color analysis, stenciling, decorative
plasterwork, new stage lifts, and dressing rooms. Contact:
Rich Regan, Auditorium Theater, 312-431-2361.
Restoration of vacant theater included exterior masonry work, upgraded
restrooms and original fixtures, and a new addition for more performance
space. Contact: Sarah Skorija, Friends of the Coronado,
Normal Theater, Normal.
of a deteriorated 1937 movie theater, including reconstruction of its neon
sign. Contact the architect: Gail White, 618-529-3691.
Street Station, Skokie. (2004) Restoration of 1920s Prairie-style
train station for retail use, including new tile roof, replicated light
fixtures, and move of the building 120 feet to a new location.
Contact: Antunovich Associates, 312-266-1126. PHOTO
Union Station, Joliet.
of this Classical Revival-style building included its waiting room, new
entrances, and accessibility requirements. Contact: Barbara Newberg,
Joliet Historic Preservation Commission, 815-724-4052.
Union Station, Springfield. (2008) Designed by architect Francis
Bacon in 1898 for the Illinois Central Railroad, this block-long
Romanesque Revival-style train station was converted into a downtown
visitor’s center. The 110-foot clock tower, removed in 1946, was
re-engineered and rebuilt. Contact: Gail White, White & Borgognoni,