home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us
   

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Preservation News

Current News    

RETURN

 

 

 

 

Van Bergen-designed House and FLW Studio-designed Cottage
Need New Owners
Wilmette
 

After purchasing a Prairie-style house and cottage on adjoining lots as a tear-down opportunity, a developer agreed to re-sell the house and allow the cottage to be moved in response to concerned preservation organizations. A new house will be built on the lot where the cottage resides and the cottage is available for relocation to anyone who can move it by the end of May, 2012. Some locals hope a location can be found to retain the structure in Wilmette.

 

The residence was designed by noted Prairie School architect John Van Bergen in 1928 and the cottage, built in 1920, was designed by Frank Lloyd Write Studio-employee Rudolph Schindler on behalf of Wright, as a temporary residence for Mr. Irving. The developer, unaware of the architectural significance of the buildings at the time of purchase, offered the compromise and agreed to assistance from Landmarks Illinois, the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy and the blog site PrairieMod.
 
For more information on the Van Bergen-designed house, contact: Lisa DiChiera at Landmarks Illinois.
 
For more information on the FLW Studio-designed cottage, contact: Janet Halstead at the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy.

Links

 

Wilmette Life
May 16, 2012

PrairieMod
March 8, 2012

Lee Bey, WBEZ
February 22, 2012

PrairieMod
February 17, 2012

 
   

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home                top                  help                 sitemap                 farnsworth    house                email us  

 

 

2011 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.