home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Preservation News

Current News

 

 
     

RETURN

 
         
   

Central School
Mount Prospect


On Thursday, May 29, the Mount Prospect Historical Society relocated this 1896 one-room schoolhouse from the property of St. Johnís Episcopal Church, which planned to demolish the school of it was not moved this year. In five years, the historical society successfully raised the required $150,000 to move the building. Landmarks Illinois pledged a $2,500 grant toward the effort, and also included the school on the 2007-08 Chicagoland Watch List.

 

After a one-mile journey, the school now rests on a site next to the Mount Prospect Historical Societyís museum and office building. While no longer threatened by demolition, the historical society will continue its fundraising campaign to renovate the building as an educational building and meeting place for the community.

 

To see video footage of the move go to: www.dailyherald.com. For more information, go to: www.yourcentralschool.org

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
         
 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.