about us  online store  download forms  join us







Preservation News

Current News   




Peoria Legend Passes On
Leslie H. Kenyon


Architect Leslie Kenyon, who had been “Mr. Historic Preservation” in this central Illinois community for several decades, died on January 14, 2011. He was 88.

Kenyon was a longtime chair of the Central Illinois Landmarks Foundation, which has played an integral role in the region’s many preservation successes. He also was a former board member of Landmarks Illinois (1983-91), as well as an LI Vice President for Statewide Programs.

He—and his firm—received at least five Richard H. Driehaus Preservation Awards from Landmarks Illinois for preservation work, including a Lifetime Commitment Award for Kenyon in 2004. Among the restoration projects of Kenyon & Associates were: GAR Hall, Madison Theater, Menard County Courthouse in Petersburg, Mineral Springs Park Pavilion in Pekin, Musician’s Union Building, Peoria City Hall, Peoria County Courthouse, Peoria High School, Powell Press Building, and the Springdale Cemetery.

“He was an environmentalist of sorts, a recycler of buildings that had seen grander days and that he believed could shine again,” noted the Peoria Journal-Star in an editorial marking his passing. “We never doubted that his heart was in the right place, wanting to make Peoria better, healthier, more attractive. We can never have too many of those.”






Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112



home                top                  help                 sitemap                 farnsworth    house                email us  



© 2011 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.