This 1911 Neo Classical-style church was sold in 2004 by the congregation to
a local medical center. The congregation relocated to a new facility. The
Joliet church was not protected as a local landmark, and the new owner planned to
demolish the structure to make way for new construction.
In spring of 2005, LPCI included the building in its 2005 Ten Most
Endangered Historic Places list. On June 28th, David Bahlman, Eiliesh Tuffy
and several local preservationists met with medical center CEO Michael
Bryant to discuss options for saving the building.
The medical center had
offered to donate the building to someone who would move it to another
location by August 1st, 2005. The meeting lasted eight minutes, during which
time LPCI staff questioned Bryant regarding public funding sources and the
possibility of a state-level review for all proposed expansion plans. Three
days later the church was abruptly demolished. The medical center has yet to
announce what will be built upon the site of the former Unitarian church.
Regrettably, in the hospitalís haste to clear the site, one of Peoriaís
architectural treasures has been lost forever.