home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

RETURN   

 
     
   

Lorado Taft’s Midway Studios Addition
6016 S. Ingleside Ave, Chicago
Built 1972

 

In early November 2009, the Edward Dart-designed addition to Lorado Taft’s Midway Studio at the University of Chicago (U of C) was demolished to make way for a courtyard for the university’s proposed Reva and David Logan Center for Creative and Performing Arts. While the Studio is a 

 
 

designated Chicago Landmark, the 1972 addition was not part of the landmark designation. However, it was included in the AIA Guide to Chicago.

 

From the 1950s through the 1970s, Edward Dart had a very successful career as an independent architect and as a partner with Loebl, Schlossman, Bennett and Dart. His work was often featured in publications such as Architectural Forum and Inland Architect. His Midway Studio addition was featured in the January1974 issue of Inland Architect, which praised it as a completely modern studio of contemporary design that was sensitive to the landmark building.

 

After learning about the proposed demolition plans in March 2009, Landmarks Illinois urged the Commission on Chicago Landmarks to encourage university officials to reevaluate how the building could be incorporated in the center’s plans. While the Commission made this request, its lack of review authority enabled U of C to proceed with demolition. The original Taft studio, however, will be renovated as part of the Logan Center plan.

 

In the last two years, numerous Edward Dart-designed buildings have been demolished, threatened, or severely altered, including Emmanuel Presbyterian Church in Chicago’s Pilsen neighborhood (demolished 2007), Dart’s own house in Barrington (altered 2008), and the Church of the Resurrection in West Chicago, currently at risk and included on Landmarks Illinois’ 2009-10 Chicagoland Watch List.

 

Photo credits: 4 David Schalliol

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.