about us  online store  download forms  join us












Simmons-Cooke House

104 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, Waukegan


Built 1854


The fight to save this 19th c Greek Revival structure in Downtown Waukegan has been lost. In March 2005, the Waukegan Historic Preservation Commission asked the County for an additional six months to relocate the building, as they were actively working with two serious purchasers.



Although it appeared additional time would be granted, the Commission received a letter on April 19th stating that the extension had been denied. Demolition commenced the next morning, before any architectural features could be salvaged.


The sudden demolition appears quite unnecessary, as the new county facility being constructed across the street, which necessitated the need for additional parking, has been stalled for months and will not be completed until well after the six month extension period requested would have passed. The Commission is using the event as a wake-up call to the community for the preservation of the remaining historic structures in the downtown core, which has lost many of its most significant buildings over the past twenty years..


Photo credit: Waukegan Historical Society









Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112



home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  



2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.