about us  online store  download forms  join us












Middaugh Mansion

Clarendon Hills


Built 1892


The only building in

Clarendon Hills listed on

the National Register of
Historic Places was

demolished June 2002.

Salvage operations on the

1892 Middaugh Mansion

began this spring after

village officials refused to

assist in the building's

relocation to another site.


This village refusal occurred  despite the efforts of a local preservation group that raised more than $400,000.  The 20-room Queen Anne-style residence was demolished by the adjacent Notre Dame Roman Catholic church, which is building a modern facility nearby. The mansion was built by Henry C. Middaugh, a founding father of Clarendon Hills. It featured a soaring cupola, finely detailed woodwork, stained glass windows and a spacious ballroom. Its site will be occupied by 16 new parking spaces.
















Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112



home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  



2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.