home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

RETURN   

 
     
 

Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad Station

1632 Broadway Street, Mattoon

 
Built 1916

 

The National Register listed Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad Station (the “Big Four”) in Mattoon was demolished in April of 2004 by its owners. The Beaux-Arts style structure, built for $50,000, served as a railroad

 
 

depot for passenger trains and as an office building for railroad personnel for almost fifty years. The City of Mattoon developed around the point of crossing of the Big Four and the Illinois Central Railroad and for much of its history its economics revolved around the railroads. After closing as a station in 1964, the depot was used as a storage facility for many years by a local business. It was purchased in 1983 with the intent of renovation. Unfortunately, no work was done on the property since 1985 and it stood vacant and neglected until demolished.

 

Efforts to save the nearby Illinois Central Railroad depot (on LPCI’s Ten Most Endangered Historic Places 2003 list) continue. See News from the Road for recent developments.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.