home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

RETURN   

 
     
   

Marsh House

358 Winnetka Ave.,
Winnetka

 

Built 1910

 

This Prairie Style residence designed by Walter Burley Griffin and built for securities broker James S. Marsh, sat on a wooded lot opposite  Winnetka’s New Trier High School. The new owner-developer demolished this historic building in order to build a larger house on the lot. Because the village’s preservation ordinance

 
 

requires the consent of a property owner for local landmark designations, it was not possible to protect this residence from demolition. Griffin designed several dozen buildings in the Chicago area, before moving to Australia in 1914 to work on plans for the capital city of Canberra.

 

The Marsh house was listed to LPCI’s 2002-03 Chicagoland Watch List.

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.