home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

RETURN   

 
     
 

St. Leo Catholic Church

7752 S. Emerald Ave.,
Chicago (Cook County)

 
Built 1905

 

This 1905 Romanesque Revival church features a majestic bell tower and other Prairie Style-influenced details. Its architect was William J. Brinkman, whose church designs include St. Michael’s in the Old Town Triangle District.

 

This vacant church was demolished for a proposed

 
 

140-unit housing project for homeless veterans, which is being sponsored by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and Catholic Charities. Although there are numerous large vacant lots in the area, this project—one of five similar pilot efforts in the nation—calls for the demolition of the church and a school building. The bell tower is scheduled to remain.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.