home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

RETURN   

 
     
   

Congregational Church

Northwest Corner of Adams and Memorial Streets, Pittsfield

 

Built 1892

 

This long-vacant structure, whose four-story bell tower has been a Pittsfield downtown landmark for 112 years, was ordered torn down in early-September 2003 by the City Council due to safety concerns. Numerous attempts to stabilize the 1881 brick building have failed since it was abandoned in the late-1980s.

 

A state grant of $350,000 was withdrawn earlier this year due to budget concerns. The church was on LPCI’s “Ten Most” list in 2000.

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.