home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

RETURN   

 
     
 

Baum and Temple Buildings

41-43 N. Vermilion
Street, 102-106 N.
Vermilion Street,
Danville

 

Built 1908

 

These two buildings were demolished by the City of Danville in the summer of 2001, just months after having been named to LPCI’s Ten Most Endangered Historic Places list. At the time of demolition, each building had been vacant and neglected for

 
 

at least half a decade. The Baum building was the first of three “skyscraper” buildings designed by Jenny, Mundie and Jensen in Danville. The façade was constructed of granite and Bedford limestone and reflected the Classical Revival style with a lobby lined with Italian white marble. Located on a downtown corner, the Temple building was remarkable as an excellent example of Classical Revival style and for its massive presence at six stories high, five bays wide, and eight bays deep.

 

The City of Danville used a Certified Local Government grant to have a National Register nomination prepared for the Temple building, which was subsequently listed in December 2000. By spring of 2001 the city decided to demolish both buildings despite public outcry and potential rehabilitation solutions. In order to finance the demolition, the City borrowed $1.5 million against a property tax increase.

 

A park now occupies the former site of the Temple Building incorporating a fragment of the building’s entrance. No development plans are known for the Baum Building vacant lot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.