home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

RETURN   

 
     
   

Bache Memorial Chapel

Douglas County

 

Built 1972

 

In April the Bache Memorial Chapel in Cartwright Cemetery in rural Tuscola was demolished. The reinforced concrete chapel was a rare example of Brutalism-style architecture in rural Illinois. Anthony Rubano of the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency said it was “the most significant modernist building that has been lost outside the Chicago

 
 

region, since the demolition of Champaign’s Christian Science Student Center in 1988.” The chapel was built with funds from the trust of Joseph Lloyd Bache, a schoolmaster with no descendents who compiled a modest fortune through lifetime investments.

 

The Urbana-based architect Joseph Coble carried out the design in accordance with Bache’s wishes – to design a modern interpretation of a traditional English church. Cemetery trustees claimed the demolition was necessary due to lack of funds to maintain the chapel, which hadn’t been used for several years. The loss of this building has raised for LPCI the issue of needing better surveys of historic and architecturally important resources in rural areas, as well as surveys of architecture of the recent past.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.