about us  online store  download forms  join us










Preservation Heritage Fund Grants

West Central


The following is a list of recipients for Landmarks Illinois' Preservation Heritage Fund grant program for the counties of Adams, Brown, Hancock, Henderson, Knox, McDonough, Pike, Schuyler, Warren Counties.




Chestnut, Knox County
Chestnut United Methodist Church

A $2,000 grant was pledged in 2008 towards roof repairs on this 1911 brick church.  The structure features several historic stained glass windows, including a unique one honoring Abraham Lincoln. Chestnut is 10 miles south of Galesburg in Knox County.






Moses King Brickyard, Colchester, McDonough County


Colchester, McDonough County
Moses King Brickyard

The former Moses King Brickyard, sited on 11 acres, consists of multiple buildings and remains of buildings used for the brick and tile works beginning in the 1880s. The property was listed on LI’s Ten Most Endangered Historic Places list in 2002. Although there is much work to be done at the site, the $1,500 matching grant will be used to reroof one of the historic structures. 







Golden, Adams County
Prairie Mills Windmill

Golden Historical Society received a $7,500 grant in 2004 to help repair the tailpole and cap on the windmill and make repairs to the roof of Windmill Hall.  One of the few restored, working “smock”-style windmills in the U.S., it was built in 1872 by a German immigrant for the grinding of wheat flour. Golden is located 25 miles northeast of Quincy.









Pittsfield, Pike County
Old East School

This building, which was designed by John Van Osdel and built 1861-66, was the community’s local school until 1955 when it was vacated, becoming a warehouse. The Pike County Historical Society used a $1,250 grant in 2007 towards roof repair. Pittsfield is 45 miles southwest of Quincy in Pike County.

Photo: Dan Long






Zoe Theater Pittsfield, Pike County


Pittsfield, Pike County
Zoe Theater

In order to open additional avenues for funding, the Zoe Preservation Society used their grant to hire a consultant to individually list the property on the National Register of Historic Places. The Zoe Theater, which opened in 1950, is located one block north of Pittsfield’s town square. The building was originally constructed in 1870 and renovated and adapted into a theater in 1950 when its Vitrolite façade was installed. The property was successfully listed on the National Register in 2012.







Quincy, Adams County
Gardner Museum

This Romanesque Revival building, designed by Patton and Fisher, was constructed in 1888.  The building housed the city’s public library until 1974. It was converted into a museum in 1977.  The building underwent a major renovation over the past five years and the museum received a $1,650 grant in 2009 to repair the roof.






< start    < back    next >

Preservation Heritage Fund grant application

Preservation Heritage Fund guidelines









Landmarks Illinois
30 N. Michigan Avenue
Suite 2020
Chicago, IL 60602-3402
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112



home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  


© Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.