home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Preservation Heritage Fund Grants

Southern

 

The following is a list of recipients for Landmarks Illinois' Preservation Heritage Fund grant program for the counties of Alexander, Edwards, Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Massac, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Saline, Union, Wabash, Wayne, White, Williamson.

 

         
 

 

America, Pulaski County
Flatboat


In 2003, approximately two-thirds of the bottom gunwale of a wrecked flatboat—dating to c.1810-1820—was exposed when the level of the Ohio River dropped. The Center for Archaeological Investigations at Southern Illinois University documented the wreckage and covered it with tarp and gravel.  SIU used a $1,800 grant in 2007 to further bury the boat’s gunwale to ensure its protection. This is the only known example of this type of flatboat in the United States. America is 15 miles north of Cairo in Pulaski County.

 
 

 

     
         
         
 

 

Brookport, Massac County
Lockkeepers House


The City of Brookport received a $5,000 grant in 2004 to sponsor a design and planning workshop for the reuse of long-vacant buildings on the Lock and Dam No. 52 property along the Ohio River. The five lockkeeper houses are currently owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. A similar project in nearby Golconda received a Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation Award from Landmarks in 2003.

 
         
         
         
 

 

Carbondale, Jackson County
Fuller Dome Home


The RBF Fuller Dome not-for-profit received a $5,000 grant in 2005 to help fund a historic structures study of the former residence of inventor R. Buckminster Fuller, which is one of the first geodesic domes to be used for human habitation. This wood structure was listed as one of Landmarks Illinois' Ten Most Endangered Historic Places in 2004.

 
         
         
         
 

 

Carbondale, Jackson County
Tuscan Lodge


Located on the town square, the Tuscan Lodge was constructed in 1893.  The building, on Landmarks Illinois' Ten Most Endangered Historic Places list in 2005, had been vacant for nearly a decade. A $5,300 grant in 2006 was used to conduct a condition assessment and install temporary roofing to protect the building. However, the deteriorated building was demolished in 2009.

 
         
         
         
 

 

Cairo, Alexander County
Shotgun House Project


A $5,000 matching grant in 2008 was used to purchase building supplies for the restoration of a shotgun-style house, which was the focus of a two-week, hands-on conservation summer workshop. The Preservation Summer Workshop is coordinated by Southern Illinois University-Carbondale’s School of Architecture, with assistance from the Heritage Conservation Network of Colorado.

 
         
         
         
 

 

Carmi, White County
Robinson Stewart House


Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and built in 1814, this is the oldest house in White County. The White County Historical Society was awarded a $3,500 grant in 2007 to replace damaged ductwork and insulation in the house, which they have been operating as a house museum since 1966. Carmi is 35 miles west of Evansville, Indiana.

 
         
         
         
 

 

Cobden, Union County
DuBois Building


This 1892 commercial building, which features a cast iron storefront from the Mesker Brothers Iron Works of St. Louis, is the home of the Union County Museum. A $5,000 matching grant in 2005 helped fund the installation of a heating and cooling plant. Cobden is located 15 miles south of Carbondale in Union County.

 
         
         
         
 

 

DuQuoin, Perry County
10 W. Main St.


This commercial structure features a rare surviving J. Christopher Company (St. Louis) wood-and-cast-iron storefront constructed in 1896. The DuQuoin Main Street organization received a $3,500 matching grant in 2008 to rehabilitate the storefront. DuQuoin is 20 miles north of Carbondale in Perry County.

 
         
         
         
 

 

Eldorado, Saline County
Old City Hall


A $2,500 matching grant in 2005 helped fund roof repairs for this 81-year-old building, which is now occupied by Main Street Eldorado and a historical museum. Eldorado is 25 miles east of Marion in Saline County.

 
         
         
         
 

 

Jonesboro, Union County
Kornthal Church


This congregation was awarded a $5,000 matching grant in 2005 for exterior repairs to its 1860, uniquely Austrian-influence designed church. Jonesboro is 20 miles south of Carbondale in Union County.

 
         
         
         
 

 

Jonesboro, Union County
Kornthal Parsonage


A $2,500 grant in 2007 was used to conduct a two-week, hands-on conservation workshop that brought in preservationists from around the country to work with local volunteers in restoring the parsonage.  The School of Architecture at Southern Illinois University’s Preservation Summer Workshop also assisted in the project.

 
         
         
 

 

     
 

 

Mt. Carmel, Wabash County
Wabash County Soldiers Monument


The Wabash County Museum Foundation was awarded a $5,000 grant in 2006 to restore this 1906 zinc monument, which was produced by the Monumental Bronze Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut.  It is one of only 79 such monuments known to exist in the U.S. Mt. Carmel is 25 miles southwest of Vincennes, Indiana.

 
         
         
         
 

 

Mount Vernon, Jefferson County
Granada Center


The Granada Theater was known as the “crown jewel of southern Illinois” when it opened in 1937. The building is currently available for rent and the Granada Center for the Performing Arts shows movies at discounted rates and free for children. A $500,000 renovation was recently completed through grants and private donations. An $840 grant in 2009 will be used to help repair the roof.

 
         
         
         
 

 

Olmsted, Pulaski County
Olmsted Depot


The Olmstead Historical Society used its $5,000 grant in 2006 to paint and repair this structure which houses its museum.  Constructed in 1872, the train station is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Olmstead is 20 miles north of Cairo in Pulaski County.

 
         
 

 

 

< start    < back 

 
         
     
 

 

     
 
 
Preservation Heritage Fund grant application

Preservation Heritage Fund guidelines

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.